Safety Zones for Schools and Registered Day Care Providers
This website is provided as a courtesy in conjunction with Chapter 692A-Sex Offender Registry of the Iowa Code regarding the 2000 foot residency restriction. The Carroll County Sheriff's Office maintains files on all individuals required to register their residences in Carroll County pursuant to Chapter 692A.
If you have questions regarding the definitions in 692A.2A or whether an exception noted in 692A.2A is applicable, please contact the Carroll County Sheriff's Office at 712-792-4393.
Iowa law requires that a "person" as defined in 692A and 692A.2A shall not reside within 2000 feet of real property comprising a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school or child care facility unless they meet the exceptions listed in 692A.2A (a through d). (Exceptions below)
692A.2A Residency restrictions - child care facilities and schools.
- For purposes of this section, "person" means a person who has committed a criminal offense against a minor, or an aggravated offense, sexually violent offense, or other relevant offense that involved a minor.
- A person shall not reside within two thousand feet of the real property comprising a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school or a child care facility.
- A person who resides within two thousand feet of the real property comprising a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school, or a child care facility, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
- A person residing within two thousand feet of the real property comprising a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school or a child care facility does not commit a violation of this section if any of the following apply:
- The person is required to serve a sentence at a jail, prison, juvenile facility, or other correctional institution or facility.
- The person is subject to an order of commitment under chapter 229A .
- The person has established a residence prior to July 1, 2002, or a school or child care facility is newly located on or after July 1, 2002.
- The person is a minor or a ward under a guardianship.
2002 Acts, ch 1157, §3
If you have questions about any of the information included in this site or whether any exceptions may apply, please e-mail the Carroll County Sheriff
Please Read Carefully
Carroll County, the Carroll County Sheriff and their employees make every effort to produce and publish the most current and accurate information possible. The map included in this web site does not represent a survey and is compiled from State and County official records, including plats, surveys, and only contains information required for government purposes. No warranties, expressed or implied, are provided for the data herein, its use or its interpretation. Carroll County, the Carroll County Sheriff and their employees assume no responsibility for the consequences of inappropriate uses or interpretations of the data.
Iowa Code Section 692A.15 Immunity for good faith conduct. Criminal or juvenile justice agencies, officials, and employees of criminal or juvenile justice agencies and state agencies and their employees shall be immune from liability for acts or omissions arising from a good faith effort to comply with this chapter. 95 Acts, ch 146, §15; 96 Acts, ch 1034, §61 Any person that relies on any information obtained from this site does so at his or her own risk.
I have read and understand the Carroll County Data Disclaimer and wish to view the data as presented.